On the occasion of the 101st commemorations of the Armenian genocide, EGAM is once again leading a delegation to Istanbul from April 23rd to April 25th to pursue its commitment to the fight against genocide denial, for the memory of the genocide and for the promotion of democratic values in Turkey.
Following the strong mobilization during the centennial of the Armenian genocide in 2015, this fourth delegation led by EGAM takes place in a situation where the democratic opposition encounters growing troubles to assert its freedoms.
It is necessary, now more than ever, for European support to not waver. This international delegation composed of representative of European organizations defending Human Rights and representative of National and European Parliaments, along the Armenian and Turkish civil society and political representatives, is hence crucial.
In this context, they will meet and support personalities committed to peace and democracy in Turkey, including signee’s of the Academics for Peace petition – who continue to face repression, MPs of the pro-Kurdish opposition, journalists who battle constantly against censorship, and the refugees and the organizations who work with them.
Friday, April 22nd: Trial of Turkish academics
· Support for the Turkish academics who signed the Academics for Peace petition, whose trial will begin on April 22nd
Saturday, April 23rd: Meeting with civil society
· Meeting with the Armenian community of Turkey
· Meeting with activists of the Turkish civil society defending Human Rights and fundamental freedoms
Sunday, April 24th: Commemorations
· Gathering in front of the Sultanahmet prison where intellectuals – arrested on April 24th, 1915 – were imprisoned and continuing the journey to Haydarpasa train station from which they were deported
· Commemoration of Sevag Şahin Balıkçı’s death at the Şişli’s Armenian cemetery, murdered on April 24th 2011 because of his Armenian identity
· Gathering for the commemoration of the genocide on Taksim Place with the Armenian community, civil society, citizens and Members of the Turkish Parliament
Monday, April 25th: Meeting with the opposition
· Meeting with Turkish parliamentarians of the democratic opposition
· Meeting with journalists and intellectuals victims of repression due to their commitment to the recognition of the genocide and democracy
"Il devient absolument urgent de mettre un terme à cette injustice. Il y a un manque de connaissances et de recherches. Il faut donc promouvoir le recueil de témoignages, mais aussi construire des mémoriaux, organiser des expositions..." - @BenjaminAbtan