Hollande withdraws post-attacks constitutional reform plans
French President Francois Hollande has scrapped planned constitutional reforms in the wake of the 13 November attacks on Paris, including a measure to strip convicted terrorists of their nationality. He made the announcement on Wednesday in a televised statement, saying he was “closing the constitutional debate”.
The proposed reforms had failed to find agreement in the lower house, the National Assembly and the opposition-dominated Senate, and looked unlikely to pass.
Hollande had proposed to constitutionalize exceptional security measures, including stripping convicted terrorists of their nationality, shortly after suicide bombers and gunmen from the Islamic State armed group killed 130 people across Paris last year. The move would have seen convicted terrorists with dual nationality stripped of their French passports and deported.
The controversial proposal had deeply split his own Socialist government and was opposed by the centre right opposition. During his announcement on Wednesday Hollande said he took note that “a section of the opposition is hostile to any constitutional revision. I deeply regret this attitude,” he said.
The French president added he would not deviate from commitments to “ensure the security of our country”.
To learn more, see here.
Before Xi Jinping's visit to France and Italy, EGAM and many prominent figures called for an end to the mass persecution of Uighurs by Beijing.
Avant la visite en France de Xi Jinping, l'EGAM et de nombreuses personnalités réclament la fin des persécutions de masse des Ouïgours par Pékin.
Un rassemblement ce lundi 25 mars à 14h sur le parvis des droits de l'Homme.
Nous vous y attendons nombreux!
Le 15 mars, Osman Kavala a purgé sa 500ème journée en prison. En ce 500eme jour de détention, il publie ce message. Nous restons solidaires avec #OsmanKavala. Vous pouvez lire son message ici:
#ChristchurchMosqueAttack : @SOS_Racisme appelle à un rassemblement ce vendredi à 18h30 Place du Puits de l'Ermite (75005 Paris) afin de se recueillir en hommage aux victimes et pour affirmer notre refus des hystéries antimusulmanes.
En Avril 1994, le Rwanda bascule dans l’horreur. Alors âgé seulement de douze ans, Charles Habonimana est désigné « dernier Tutsi », celui qui sera tué en dernier.
Dans son livre Moi, le dernier Tutsi, Charles Habonimana livre son témoignage.
L’EGAM vous invite à le rencontrer.