Right-wing, anti-Islam protest in Brussels’ Molenbeek district banned
Authorities have barred a far-right group from conducting a planned anti-Islam demonstration in the Brussels neighborhood of Molenbeek. Officials said they feared the protests could spark violent clashes.
With the city of Brussels still on edge after last week’s terror attacks, that killed 32 people and claimed by the Islamic state, authorities have banned far-right extremists from holding a planned anti-Islam rally in the troubled neighborhood of Molenbeek.
The French far-right youth group Generation Identitaire had posted a message on their website invoking members to march through the neighborhood Saturday under the banner “Let’s expel the Islamists!”
Molenbeek mayor Francoise Schepmans said the decision to prohibit the demonstration came after consultations with police and other local officials. “If we had let it happen, there could have been clashes,” Schepmans told news agency AFP.
The regional Brussels government will issue an order prohibiting “any demonstration or counter-demonstration in connection with this call to protest,” said Mustafa Er, an aide to Schepmans.
To learn more, see here.
"Il devient absolument urgent de mettre un terme à cette injustice. Il y a un manque de connaissances et de recherches. Il faut donc promouvoir le recueil de témoignages, mais aussi construire des mémoriaux, organiser des expositions..." - @BenjaminAbtan